The Ottawa County Probate office will be closed from noon to 1:00 p.m. on Thursday, August 24th.

Marriage License and Marriage Records

Marriage License Information

Marriage Licenses are by Appointment Only

  1. The applicants must appear in person at Ottawa County Probate Court, Second Floor, Courthouse, 315 Madison Street, Port Clinton, Ohio.
  2. At least one of the parties must be an Ottawa County Resident and the marriage must be performed in the State of Ohio. If both parties are from out of state and wish to be married in Ottawa County they must obtain the license from Ottawa County.
  3. If either of the parties were born outside of the United States, please contact the Court for further information.
  4. If either of the parties is under the age of 18, please contact the court for further information.
  5. We will take applications Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. through 4:00 p.m., excluding holidays. We will require a current pictured I.D. and Birth Certificate.
  6. If either of the parties has been previously married we will require information on the last marriage as to the following:
    a. In the case of the death of a previous spouse, please have a copy of the Death Certificate of the Spouse.
    b. In the case of a divorce or dissolution, please have a copy of the Entry or Order granting the divorce or dissolution.
  7. Cost for the Application is $50.00 due on the day of the application. CASH OR CREDIT/DEBIT CARD ONLY. We do not accept checks.
  8. The License is issued on the same day as the date of application. Beginning on the issue date the license is good for 60 days after which it will expire and no longer be valid if the marriage ceremony has not taken place.
  9. An ordained or licensed minister of any religious society or congregation within this state may perform a marriage within this state if, prior to the ceremony, that individual is also licensed by the State of Ohio to perform marriages.  The license to perform marriages is obtained through the office of the Ohio Secretary of State.  You may check the individual’s licensure to perform marriages by calling 1-877-767-6446 or 1-614-728-9200.

For additional information, please contact the Court at (419) 734-6830.

Please type the form and bring it along with all other documents and the $50.00 payment to the 2nd floor, Room 207, Ottawa County Probate Court.

Marriage Records – Requesting Certified Copies

To obtain a certified copy of your marriage record the Court needs to know the first and last names of both applicants, including the maiden or name prior to marriage, and the date of marriage. (If the exact date is not known, give an approximate year.)

The cost of each certified copy is $2.00.

You may request copies by mail. Please enclose a self-addressed stamped envelope with check or money order made payable to the Ottawa County Probate Court.

Fill out the Certified Copy of Marriage Record Request form and mail with your payment and self-addressed stamped envelope to:

Ottawa County Probate Court
315 Madison Street, Room 207
Port Clinton, OH 43452

Certified Copy Request For Marriage Record

You may also call the Ottawa County Probate Court at 419-734-6830 to request a certified copy of your marriage record and pay by credit card on our website.

To pay online go to and on the right hand side of the screen, click the red and black Pay Online box. The fee is $2.00 a copy and there is a convenience fee to use a credit or debit card. The Probate Clerk will give you the case number. Once this is complete the Court will be notified that a payment was made. The Court will mail it to the address given for the credit card unless you instruct the Court otherwise.



Notice: You must have an appointment to conduct in-person business at the Probate Court office. Please call (419) 734-6830 to make an appointment.